Making a Will
A life-changing legacy
Gifts in Wills fund more than a third of our life-saving care and support services, as well as our research and other prevention work, such as community health checks and educational talks.
In Northern Ireland almost half of all adult deaths are caused by chest, heart or stroke illnesses. It’s therefore crucial that we can continue caring for people with these conditions and look for ways to prevent them in the first place – which is where gifts in Wills can make a huge difference.
We’d love if you would consider leaving a Gift in your Will to us so that together, we can help fight chest, heart and stroke-related illnesses for future generations.
- Seek professional advice and use a solicitor or financial expert to write your Will. You can find a solicitor in your area by searching the Law Societies website https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors
- To make a Will you must be 18 years old or over, be of sound mind, make your Will without pressure from another person, put it in writing and have it signed in the presence of two witnesses.
- You will need to choose one or two people to be responsible for sorting out your estate – the executor(s) of your Will. Your executor can be a relative, friend, bank official, solicitor or accountant.
- You must make a list of all your assets and debts and give this to your Will-writer.
- Decide who you would like to benefit from your estate. This may be family, friends and/or charitable organisations whom you support.
- You can change an existing Will by adding a Codicil Form,, or legal statement of intent to your Will. A Codicil is useful if you only want to make small changes to your Will, such as adding in a new beneficiary. You can download our Codicil or request one by emailing email@example.com. Please give your completed Codicil form to your solicitor or Will-maker, to store with your Will.
- Store your Will safely. This can be at home, with your solicitor, your bank or at the Probate Office in Belfast.
As a supporter of NICHS you have the option to make your Will online, free of charge with our Will-writing partner, Bequeathed. This free Will service should be sufficient for most simple Wills, but if you need more detailed legal advice Bequeathed provides options to access further support through local Belfast law firm Cleaver Fulton Rankin.
If you would like to use the online Bequeathed Will making option please click here.
If you decide to leave us a gift in your Will, we sincerely thank you. Please make sure to use our correct charity name and address details. Also, including our charity number is good practice as it clearly identifies NICHS as your intended charity.
Our general contact details are:
NI Chest Heart and Stroke, 21 Dublin Road, Belfast, BT2 7HB.
Charity No: NIC 103593; Company No: NI 18889 A Charity Limited by Guarantee.
If you would like to leave us a gift in your Will we suggest the following wording that can be used or amended by your Will-writer.
‘I bequeath to Northern Ireland Chest Heart & Stroke the sum of £… or, all/part* of the residue of my estate, to be applied to general purposes/or [insert area of NICHS work] and I declare that the receipt of the Honorary Treasurer, or Legacy Officer shall be sufficient discharge to my Executors.’