Never starting to smoke or giving up smoking is the single best thing you can do for your chest, heart and stroke health.
Smokers are almost twice as likely to have a heart attack compared with people who have never smoked. It’s never too late to give up and doing so will reduce your risk of becoming seriously ill. Meanwhile, in addition to improving your health and wellbeing, you’ll also save money.
At NICHS we’re still providing vital services during the COVID-19 pandemic to educate people in Northern Ireland about the importance of not smoking – and stopping smoking – to improve their health and wellbeing.
Almost 90% of our funds come from you, so we need your donations now more than ever to keep ‘Caring through COVID’ and deliver this important support.
- Work out your smoking habits and be ready to change your routine to avoid the triggers and situations where you smoke. This might include breaks at work, after meals, or when socialising.
- Set a date, tell family and friends and stick to it.
- When you feel the urge to smoke, distract yourself.
- Put the money you save in a jar so you can see it building up.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for help and support. You are four times more likely to quit successfully if you get professional help and nicotine replacements.
Our Online Well Checks include a lifestyle assessment and give you the opportunity to speak to one of our qualified health promotion officers about any concerns you have around your smoking, and receive personalised tips and advice.